Monday, March 5, 2012

Botswana Agate and Pearl Bracelet

     One of my favorite stones is Botswana agate.  I love the bands of color, and the unique gray, brown, and pink shades this particular agate displays.  Up until now, I've not attempted to make a piece using it, but I love it so much and this weekend had the opportunity to see a similar piece up close at the benefit fundraiser I just had to jump in and try it myself.  I need to give credit where it's due: the silent auction piece was done by Lisa Walsh of Abednego Creations using puff coin Botswana agate, mauve Swarovski crystal pearls, and antique silver or brass spacer beads and findings, strung on wire, with a market value of $25.
     I went to Von's in West Lafayette to see if I could find some small Botswana agate beads to use in my own bracelet--hoped to find tube-shaped, actually--but the only small beads they had other than standard rounds (which I didn't want given I seem to always use rounds in projects) were puffed coins like the ones in the auction bracelet.  I think my coins are smaller, though.  I used little silver rounds to separate the beads and some freshwater semi-round pearls (color is called "wild orchid" on the site I bought them).  I feel bad my bracelet seems rather close to the auction piece, but given I used pearls I already had, and round silver beads I already had...it was as different as I could do given the circumstances.  I wish I could have bought the bracelet at the auction, and mine has enough of my taste to it to be different from that piece.
     This is one of at least six projects I hope to get done in the next couple of weeks.  Stay tuned!




Name:  Botswana Pearl Bracelet


Price:  $15 (reason: freshwater pearls, silver, Botswana agate)


Length:  8 inches

No comments:

Post a Comment