Saturday, November 9, 2013

Galactic Glimmer wrapped-cord bracelet


This is the first Christmas present project I've done this season.  A friend of mine from college likes "shiny" things, but has never been much of a jewelry person because it tends to not be all that practical to her.  She likes the idea of jewelry, just not the practice.  When I showed her the project Warrior's Bond, she really liked it, and I suggested letting me do something similar for her.  As she's a computer tech, she didn't like the idea of a bracelet, which can roll all over your arm when you move it.  I told her that the leather cording makes such slipping less of an issue, and even put on Warrior's Song and shook my hand upside-down to give her an accurate idea of how much movement it had.
She decided she wanted something blue/green/purple/pink, so off I went to my favorite beading store this weekend with another friend who had never been there, with a list of supplies I needed to purchase for a variety of things.  We spent about three hours there, and when I finally spotted these fluorite rounds on the wall, I knew I'd found the perfect stones for the gift.  They are magnificent quality (and therefore really expensive!), and the colors blend from ice-green to sky to lavender, to dark purple.  I matched them with some nice black leather, and rummaged through my mother's antique button collection for the perfect choice--the only one like it in the thousands I looked through, which changes color in the light to complement all of the colors in the bracelet.
Since the fluorite was so lovely, I knew I wanted to use it all in a single piece.  This way the button doesn't look so big, either.  Move fluorite I've seen is kind of dusty in quality; this is high gloss on top of its rich, blending coloration.
She named it Galactic Glimmer because it reminded her of the patterns of dust and light that you see in photos of nebulas and galaxies.
I love this piece!  I may have to make me one like it.  I suspect it would sell well, too.
Will get better pictures when I have light.



 

Name:   Galactic Glimmer

Price:  $45 (reason: extremely high-quality fluorite, and lots of it!  Gift for Megan N.)

Length:  18 inches or so; makes two loops

No comments:

Post a Comment