Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Green Mica bracelet


A while ago a friend at work traded me two green mica necklaces she'd gotten as free gifts, one a replacement for the other since it was broken upon arrival, in exchange for a blue necklace because she hates green.  I ended up destroying the broken one to use pieces of it in her new necklace, and the rest has been sitting in my bead box ever since.  The other necklace has been in its sealed package since she gave it to me.  I decided I wanted to make a bracelet out of some of the stones, and really disliked how cheaply made the other necklace was (no wonder the first broke), so disassembled the other necklace and used the nicely polished large green mica nuggets for this bracelet.  I don't know what I'll do with all the cheap silver-coated plastic rounds, or the badly-wired green mica chips yet, but at least the nice pieces were worth saving.  They're now strung on high-quality nylon-coated braided steel bead wire that can flex and yet doesn't break (even hard to cut it with wire cutters!), and strung with silver rounds (couldn't justify using the plastic ones).  I used a nice toggle clasp, too.
This bracelet is heavy!  The nuggets range in size and color, but if I were to hazard a guess, I'd say they're about 8mm to 10mm.  They're blocky, but not quite rectangular.


Name:  Something Worth Saving

Price:  $10 (reason: the stones are good quality, and the other materials make it worth this price)

Length:  9 inches

1 comment: