Sunday, September 15, 2013

Harvest Festival ring

I did it!  I never thought I'd ever be able to say that with any sort of satisfaction, but I officially made a ring I'm happy with!  My sister is big on wearing rings, but I'd not been confident enough with my wirework to attempt one other than buying the ring base and wire-wrapping crystals or other beads to it.  I've seen all sorts of neat rings other people have made, but never had the courage to dive in and try any of the techniques.
This attempt is actually two-fold. 1: I wanted to be able to make rings for my sister in the future and 2: a lady at work asked me to wire-wrap a tumbled, dyed quartz for her that didn't have any holes drilled in it, and I wanted some practice before I did it.  Given I'm not at all comfortable with my wirework (and therefore don't post my attempts), I told her it would take a while, and I've been doing some research on the right gauge of wire to use, and how to actually cage a tumbled stone without holes in it.  About a year ago, I bought a wire jig setup on sale and three different, brightly-colored rolls of 20-gauge wire (copper-orange, blue-teal, and lime) so I could officially start wirework.  I made several attempts, none of which made me happy, and gave up for a while.  Turns out, the wire recommended for caging a tumbled stone and for ring work is 20-gauge, so I figured today I'd make another attempt.  Since I've really wanted to make a ring, that's what I tackled.
Usually, a first attempt like this makes me frustrated and disappointed, but this one turned out to surprise me!  I used a piece of leftover cane glass from a bracelet I made my sister when she got her yoga instructor certification, and the copper-orange wire since it matched the stripes in the glass.
It's really hard to photograph such shiny glass, so pardon some of the lack of focus.
Another note: this ring is named after a ring in one of my favorite games--Dragon Age Origins.  I thought the name fit the colors really well.



 

Name:  Harvest Festival ring

Price:  $8

Size:  a little larger than 5, but not quite 5 1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment